Your marriage could help land you a little present from the taxman. If you or your partner are earning below the personal allowance, one of you could transfer up to £1,250 to your higher-earning partner to help them get a bigger tax break if they apply for marriage allowance. In this guide, we’ll examine what the marriage allowance looks like in action by discussing the following topics:
• Who is eligible for the marriage allowance?
• What happens if your eligibility changes during the tax year?
• Whether you have to be in employment to use the allowance
• How the marriage allowance works
• Whether you can backdate it
• How you can save more as a couple with your taxes
• How to get help with your tax planning